MAgnete per RIcerca Superconduttività Applicata – MaRiSA Test of critical current of high current superconducting cable up to 8T in a bore up to 440 mm and current up to 100 kA with a transformer method.
- Magnetic Field of 8T in 330 mm bore with sample temperature 1K<T<300 K;
- Magnetic Field of 6T in 440 mm with temperature 1K<T<300 K;
- Sample shaped as a ring with low resistance joint;
- Maximum current 100 kA.
Among the most significant results, critical current measurements of:
- 30 conductors used for HERA superconducting dipoles
- All conductors (6) involved in BaBar Superconducting Solenoid (SLAC)
- All conductors (20) involved in CMS Superconducting Solenoid (CERN)
- All conductor involved in Mu2e superconducting solenoids (43 tests)
Technical steps and expertise:
- Construction of a sample holder according the specific requirements, equipped with Cernox thermometers and Hall probes,
- Cool-down of the magnet (1500 l ol LN2 and 1000 l of LHe for one measurement run),
- Check-up of the Magnet Safety System (MSS),
- Securing the area,
- Magnetic field rise
- Tests on the sample.
Personale INFN: Pasquale Fabbricatore, Dr. Riccardo Musenich